Employment Legal Questions and Answers

Do I get paid to attend summer training classes by my Employer?

My employer sent me to a program over the summer for medication aide. There was class time and I am required to do 40 hours of training with a RN at work then after that is done my teacher comes to check me off and sends certification into the state. Well I started the training at work and the are refusing to pay me for hours I've trained. Is this legal?

11/01/2016   |   Category: Employment   |   State: Wisconsin   |   #26040

Why is it Legal for an Employer to Make Detention Time Unpaid for Truckers?

i drive semi over the road for a living. i have drove for 23 years and it is a common practice for trucking companies to require us to sit for up to 3 hours free getting loaded and unloaded, further, at their discretion, they refuse to pay layover pay when we are required to sit waiting on another load for up to and over 24 hours. my question is, this is involuntary servitude, ...

03/05/2011   |   Category: Employment   |   State: Ohio   |   #24346

Can My Employer Look at My Cell Phone Contacts?

Is it illegal to look in someone's cell phone? While working, I was caught with my cell phone; which is considered contraband in this state facility. Does my employer have the right to look at my contact list in my phone?

03/24/2010   |   Category: Employment   |   State: California   |   #21533

How Do Prove Employment in Indiana?

I HAVE ACCEPTED A JOB OFFER BY EMAIL. NOW I AM BEING TOLD BY THE LABOR DEPARTMENT THAT IT IS NOT LEGAL AND THAT I NEEDED A HARD COPY

09/08/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: Indiana   |   #18524

What is Required for a Background Check of a Potential Employee?

If our policy is to conduct background checks on new hires do i have to conduct them on all new hires if only certain client contracts require it. Is it a requirement that in the case where I do conduct the checks, that i put a contingent job offer in writing?

08/03/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: North Carolina   |   #17907

Am I Entitled to Severance Pay or Palimony for Caretaker Duties?

gave full time care for a blind, diabetic lady for five years. Now she is hospice. Am I entitled for severance pay or palimony?

07/21/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: California   |   #17687

What Are My Due Process Rights in Employent Discipline?

I am a RN. Employed by AZ. State. Charges were brought against me at work for misconduct and neglect of duty. I was denied to use patient records to defend myself as my employer stated HIPPA regulations. However, these client records and reports were used against me. I was placed on investigation for 6 months and suspended from work for one day. They have not honored the timeli...

07/19/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: Arizona   |   #17654

How Do I Get Pro Bono Legal Help in Virginia?

On 4/12/2009 I was Removed from government service after 20+ years. I filed an MSPB appeal. A settlement was offered, I didn't have a lawyer, so one of the settlements offer was to change the Removal on my SF-50 to a Resignation, that was done. Next, I received a 'tentative' offer for a job within the Department of Army. After receiving the 'tentative' offer, I was offered a ...

07/04/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: Virginia   |   #17329

Am I Required to Have Workers Compensation Coverage for Volunteers in Kansas?

As a part-time Chaplain for a retirement community I work from 6 to 8 hours a week in the Chaplains' office and another 4 or 5 hours a week at home, using my home office equipment. My major responsibilities include organizing, from a corps of volunteers,the musicians and worship leaders for chapel services, Bible studies, and memorial services, producing monthly schedules for d...

06/30/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: Kansas   |   #17264

Can a House Purchase be Covered Under Per Diem Rates?

I have lived in Glendale, Arizona since 1986. This is my permanent residence for my wife, child, and me. I recently retired from an electric utility in Arizona. I am currently contracting in Oswego, New York at a nuclear plant. I receive $525/week per diem. I may be here for several years. I am currently renting, but if I wanted to buy a house here in New York instead of renti...

06/25/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: Arizona   |   #17187