Employment Legal Questions and Answers

Does my employment contract automatically renew if there is no expiration date?

Employee's employment contract provides for a severance if employee is terminated within one year from date of agreement, but contract does not have an expiration date. Does the contract automatically renew if it does not contain a expiration date and if so, does the severance clause also renew?

04/27/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: ALL   |   #16203

Can my employer deny me health benefits?

Can my employer deny me the option to join their health care plan? Employer, who has more than 25 employees, considers me a consultant but I suspect that legally I am an employee. They won't allow me to join their health care plan for 5 more months (totaling 6). I do not set my work rules or my hours, I do not supply my own materials or supplies or location, I do not have a con...

04/27/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: ALL   |   #16201

Can a supervisor prohibit communication outside of work between employee and board members?

Can a principal tell a teacher that she/he cannot speak to school board directors without his permission outside of school hours? I am being 'reprimanded' for speaking to school board members on my own time. There is no written policy on this. Also, I am a member of a political organization that meets monthly and I see and have neighbors who ask me questions/complaints to in r...

04/27/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: ALL   |   #16167

Providing Information to Current Employer on Former Employer by Employee

What information can a former employee give a prospective employer about a former employer within the law?

04/27/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: ALL   |   #16151

How would I legally acknowledge that the allegations made against me are false?

In July, I received a letter of corrective action from my supervisor accusing me of discussing confidential personnel matters with other employees. I am innocent. I signed the letter acknowledging the allegation and conversation that we had prior to be presented the letter. I would like to include a statement that indicates that I am not in agreement with the allegation only...

04/23/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: Oregon   |   #16103

Can my employer prevent me from driving into work if I have a disability?

Can an employer stop me from coming to work. They are afraid I will sue them if I have a wreck going to or from work. This is on personal time not their time. I have Multiple Sclerosis. I have been with the company for 10 months or so. I live in Texas but work in Arkansas.

04/23/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: Texas   |   #16099

Can I legally be denied a job because I refused to give my social security number during interview?

I am in the interview process for a position that requires a motor vehicle report. I've not been offered the position, and I would think this would be a form required after job offer, as is a consumer credit report. They want my date of birth and social security. I've been told never give this out in the interview process.

04/21/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: Washington   |   #16079

How binding is a signed letter of offer where all contingent requirements have been met?

How binding is a signed letter of offer where all contingent requirements have been met? i.e. background check, drug testing etc. context - I was hired by IAP worldwide services (in Washingto DC) - showed up to work only to be told that they were not authorized to hire me. Now I'm out of a job after making a commitment to this company .

04/09/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: Virginia   |   #15928

Can an Individual Tax ID Number be used in place of a social for employment by a non-citizen?

If a non US citizen does not have a social security number or work visa can they submit a Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) or (TIN) in its place to an employer? If said individual plans on obtaining a work visa at a later date will using a TIN to obtain employment hinder this process. If said alien cashes checks issued to them by employer using a ITIN or TIN, and wit...

04/01/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: New York   |   #15841

What recourse do I have against the company that laid me off and then tried to fill me position?

I was laid off two weeks ago and I was told it was due to the economic downturn. Today the company placed an ad for my position. Is this legal?

04/01/2009   |   Category: Employment   |   State: Ohio   |   #15840