Healthcare » Privacy Rights Legal Questions and Answers

Is a Credit Check Database for Patients Allowable Under HIPAA?

If I set up a database and I want to share a patients information.. Name ssn and $ owed. Goal is to identify if a person will be a credit risk to a small business.. Dentistry Would that be a violation of HIPPA. Even if I set up a dental clearinghouse data base. The doctor would enter his personal information and that of the patient to find out if they owe another dentist mo...

06/01/2011   |   Category: Healthcare » Privacy Rights   |   State: Illinois   |   #24945

State Law Requires Patients to make appointments with Doctor on all STD testing

I recently was tested for HSV1 and HSV2. I requested that the lab mail the results to me so that I could review them myself. Recently, I received a letter from my doctor requesting that I make an appointment to discuss the results. The letter says that Maryland state law requires a patient to make an appointment to discuss any and all results of STD testing. I do not feel that...

03/13/2009   |   Category: Healthcare » Privacy Rights   |   State: Maryland   |   #15614

How can I get around giving out my social security number in the doctor's office and pharmacy?

I think I have the Right (Privacy act 1974?)of not giving my Social Security Number when I the Doctor, Pharmacy, Hospital. Of course I am legal, decent and retired. My Health Insurance gave me a Card with my name and an ID number. I'm a retired physician myself and I used to "bill" the insurances / governement. I know the SSN number is not needed to file the claims. I call rece...

05/24/2007   |   Category: Healthcare » Privacy Rights   |   State: Florida   |   #5848

Do I have any legal rights if a doctors office is not disposing of personal information properly?

Do I have any legal rights if a doctors office is caught not disposing of personal information properly?

05/14/2007   |   Category: Healthcare » Privacy Rights   |   State: Texas   |   #4670