How many days notice do I have to give to my landlord before leaving a house in Michigan?

I moved to Michigan in 2015 and since then I have been living in this rented house. Due to an accident, I am no longer in a position to take care of my daily chores. My doctor has advised me to get a home nurse. I will be shifting to my sister’s house next month so that she can take care of me. How many days notice do I have to give to my landlord before leaving this house?
01/13/2017   |   Category: Landlord Tenant   |   State: Michigan   |   #30088

Answer:

In Michigan, if a tenant who has occupied a rental unit for more than 13 months, has been certified by a physician in a notarized statement as incapable of living independently then such a tenant may terminate the rental agreement by giving 60 days written notice to the landlord. The relevant statutory provision in this regard is stated below.

MCLS § 554.601a reads:
 “Sec. 1a. (1) A rental agreement shall provide that a tenant who has occupied a rental unit for more than 13 months may terminate a lease by a 60-day written notice to the landlord if 1 of the following occurs:
     ***
     (b) The tenant becomes incapable during the lease term of living independently, as certified by a physician in a notarized statement.”

In the given instance, if you have occupied the rental premises for more than 13 months and your physician certifies in a notarized statement that you are incapable of living independently then you may leave the rental premises by giving 60 days written notice to your landlord.