Landlord Tenant » Lease Violation Legal Questions and Answers

What are the remedies available to the landlord for the breach of contract by the tenant?

I own a house in Connecticut which was rented out to a bachelor. Per the rental agreement, the tenant is liable for all damages caused to the house due to his negligence. Six months later, I found my house in a very bad condition with molds and mildew in every nook and corner. When I questioned the tenant about this, he took the stand that he is not responsible as the damage...

11/24/2016   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Lease Violat...   |   State: Connecticut   |   #27134

Is a Leaky Roof Cause for Terminating a Lease?

I received a security deposit from a prospective tenant 5/31/11. The tenant advised me on 6/3/11 that his home which was in escrow had fallen out of escrow that day. He told me that they wanted to still rent from me. He called me on 6/8/11 and told me that he saw water damage in a bedroom which he claimed was caused by a leaky roof. I told him that I had hired a roof person to ...

06/08/2011   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Lease Violat...   |   State: California   |   #24994

Can the Landlord Force Us to Leave Because We Started a Grease Fire in the Kitchen?

My wife had a greese fire in the kitchen and messed up 2 kabnets. We have not been there a month. The land lord gave us a 30 day notice can he do this. And do I have to pay him the rent becouse he is going to keep my security deposit the house was not inspected by the city before renting

03/04/2011   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Lease Violat...   |   State: Virginia   |   #24341

Can I Break My Lease for Damage to My Apartment?

I had been drinking and locked myself out of my apartment. Called management, who refused to let me in and call police and had me taken to the hospital for detox - an unnecessary action and one I did not consent to. Upon my return my apartment had been trashed. Broken glass was everywhere and my vaccuum had been stolen. I now want out of my lease and wonder if I can take legal...

07/21/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Lease Violat...   |   State: Colorado   |   #17685

Is a report of shots fired enought to evict someone for criminal misconduct?

If law enforcement and private security enter into an apartment which had a report of gunshots from inside, then upon entry and search based upon well-fare (safety and security) discovered the apartment empty, but illegal substances were observed in plain-sight on a coffee-table? It was later discovered during the interview process that the individual was seen running from the...

05/26/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Lease Violat...   |   State: Oklahoma   |   #16782

If the landlord fails to notify tenant of changes to the lease, does this void the lease?

By state law of Montana, if there is a change in contract of any sort on your lease of an apartment and the tenant is not notified, does that void the previous contract and does the tenant have a right to get out of the contract with no early termination fees because they were not notified about any changes? The lease agreement states that any changes in the agreement the tenan...

05/16/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Lease Violat...   |   State: Montana   |   #16690

What are my options when a tenant is consistently late on rent?

I own a lot on which I am allowing a man to keep his mobile home in exchange for monthly rent. We have a written agreement, which has been signed by him and by his daughter who actually owns the mobile home in which the man and she are living. Our agreement is dated December of 2006, and in all that time, he has only been on time, with the rent, once. There is no mention of la...

04/28/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Lease Violat...   |   State: Arkansas   |   #16264

What is the shortest notice of eviction I can serve a tenant

What is the shortest notice of eviction I can serve a tenant who is always late on their rent?

04/27/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Lease Violat...   |   State: ALL   |   #16180

My lease states the landlord is responsible for heating bill but he says that is a typo and not true

We rented our apartment since March 2008. Initially we were told that the heating bill is payed by the landlord as it is written in our lease (signed by landlord). During the winter period we realized that we pay the heating bill. The landlord denied that. We asked the maintenance company to verify if we have a separated meter for our gas oven- which is not the case and they co...

04/23/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Lease Violat...   |   State: Massachusetts   |   #16107

Termination of Commercial Lease in California for Failure to Repair

I have paid rent for ten years for an office that leaks every winter and the ceiling has fallen in twice. It is now going to fall again and I have found another office. There is black mold in the office and I am horrified. I have been very ill, but did not know why. I cannot find help in Oakland, CA from Housing Inspector or anyone else! I have not paid rent for two months,...

02/28/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Lease Violat...   |   State: California   |   #15389