Landlord Tenant » Security Deposit Legal Questions and Answers

My friend was staying in a rented house in Michigan. She has moved out and wants to get her security deposit back. The landlord insists on keeping to himself a portion of the deposit. Can the landlord refuse to return the security deposit?

My friend who was staying in a rented house in Grand Rapids, Michigan has moved out after the lease term. She wants to get her security deposit back. But, the landlord says he is entitled to keep to himself a portion of the deposit stating that her pet has damaged the carpet. Can the landlord refuse to return the security deposit?

11/09/2016   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Security Dep...   |   State: Michigan   |   #26485

Is There a Legal Limit on the Pet Deposit a Landlord Can Require?

is there a limit of how much deposit a landlord can require for a pet ?

04/16/2011   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Security Dep...   |   State: Florida   |   #24654

Can I Claim Further damages By a Tenant Discovered After the Security Deposit Was Returned?

I rented to a tenant with 3 cats. I noticed urine odor strongly in a few areas of the house upon doing the move out inspectection and had them treated. I returned her deposit within 21 days but am now noticing more areas that are damaged from pet urine and stink very badly. Can I still charge her for the damage caused by her pets?

03/16/2011   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Security Dep...   |   State: California   |   #24418

Does a Landlord Have to Pay Interest on a Security Deposit in Illinois?

I am a tenant in an association complex of more than 100 units. The landlord owns 4 of the units of which I am one of the 4 tenants. The landlord has held a $2,400.00 security deposit for 4 years. Question: Am I entitled to interest (what percentage) on the held security deposit monies, even though the landlord owns less than 5 units within the association?

07/01/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Security Dep...   |   State: Illinois   |   #17293

Can A Landlord Deduct From A security Deposit In California Despite a Good Faith Failure to Comply W

I advertised my duplex as a year lease. My tenant signed a year lease. In less than a week they wanted to make it a 6 month lease. They lasted just over 4 months, gave 15 days notice to move out just to the next town. I informed them of their duty per the lease they were responsible for lost rents and to find a suitable tenant. I posted the unit online and found a suitable te...

06/18/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Security Dep...   |   State: California   |   #17059

What is the law regarding the 30 days a landlord has to refund a security deposit?

The North Carolina Security Deposit Act states that landlords must return security deposits Within 30 days. If the landlord processes the check on the 30th day and places in the mail are they still compliant? Or, must the tenant have possession of the security deposit by the 30th day?

05/30/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Security Dep...   |   State: North Carolina   |   #16828

When mus the security deposit be returned?

I am the main renter of an apartment. When my roommate moved in, she gave me a security deposit, which as was said in an oral agreement she would get back when she moves out provided that the apartment is clean, the bills are paid, the keys are returned and that there is no damage to the apartment. I asked her to move out on the 5th of February and informed her that she has a...

04/29/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Security Dep...   |   State: ALL   |   #16467

Can the security deposit be applied to unpaid rent?

My tenants lease expired (1 year term) on December of 2007. An extension for month to month was sent for signature and return by January of 2008 and to date the amendment has not been signed and returned. The rent for January was 26 days late and no rent has been paid to date for February. I want end the relationship. Do I send a 30 day notice or 60 day? If they do not pay fo...

04/29/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Security Dep...   |   State: ALL   |   #16456

The tenants moved out taking the unit's washer and dryer

My tenants moved out and removed the washer and dryer from the property. Should I file a police report? If they decide to return the appliances, should I accept them back or should I just deduct the cost from security deposit?

04/28/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Security Dep...   |   State: ALL   |   #16338

Is my landlord entitled to wear and tear after 15 years?

If you live in an apartment for 15 years, are the landlords able take money from the deposit for normal wear and tear when your inspection says every thing was fine?

04/27/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Security Dep...   |   State: ALL   |   #16156