What are the Florida Requirements to Be Licensed as a Community Association Manager?

Full Question:

I was offered a position at a co-op to subcontract as an administrative assistant, signed a contract under my corporate name and then found out 2 wks later that a complaint was filed against me for unlicensed activity under CAM even though job requirements did not include CAM and was performing only work as it pertains to an assistant/secretary. Separate from my corporation, I am also a real estate sales associate, which is unaffiliated from work I do under corporation. Since there were so many issues with owners at the co-op with my working there, I opted to volunteer services retroactive commencement of contract date which was 2 wks prior until things were better settled, and by mutual agreement within 3 wks of signing contract canceled same. So at no time have I received compensation nor is there as active contract. Based on the above, is there legal basis for state to find in favor of complaint?
04/02/2010   |   Category: Licenses   |   State: Florida   |   #21647


The answer will depend on all the facts involved, such as whether you held yourself out to be licensed and the budget of the business. Whether you work was “done for remuneration” will be a matter of subjective determination for the court. A person must not manage or hold herself or himself out to the public as being able to manage a community association in this state unless she or he is licensed by the department in accordance with the provisions of this part. Florida Statutes state that "Community association management" means any of the following practices requiring substantial specialized knowledge, judgment, and managerial skill when done for remuneration and when the association or associations served contain more than 10 units or have an annual budget or budgets in excess of $100,000: controlling or disbursing funds of a community association, preparing budgets or other financial documents for a community association, assisting in the noticing or conduct of community association meetings, and coordinating maintenance for the residential development and other day-to-day services involved with the operation of a community association. A person who performs clerical or ministerial functions under the direct supervision and control of a licensed manager or who is charged only with performing the maintenance of a community association and who does not assist in any of the management services described in this subsection is not required to be licensed under this part.

For further information, please see: