How can I obtain the form 5506-NAR to transfer my CNA license from Ohio?

Full Question:

How can I obtain the form 5506-NAR to transfer my CNA license from Ohio to Texas. I already have the 5505-NAR.
02/13/2007   |   Category: Licenses ยป CNA   |   State: Texas   |   #679


By Federal and State Laws, you must pass a State prescribed course and test in order to work as a nursing assistant in a nursing home. You also cannot work as a nursing assistant in a nursing home in any state unless you are approved by that state. If you already are Licensed, Certified, Registered or State Approved in your own State and want to move to another state, you will need to request reciprocity. This means that you are asking the new state to recognize the approval you received from your home state.

How to request reciprocity
1. The first step is to contact the Nurse Aide Registry in your home state and request a "Application for Enrollment By Reciprocity". Ask them if you should send the completed form to them or to the state to which you are moving.

2. Then contact the other state and ask them the same thing.; Some nursing assistants have been able to fax their request directly to the state they are moving into rather than with their home state. Do not take chances, ask. Be sure to get the name of those who talk with you and their phone numbers. Call them by name while you are talking so they remember you.

3. If the agency in your new state says it is acceptable for you to fax or mail info, then do this right away. Be sure to clarify the fax number and the mailing address. Then fax or mail your info to the attention of the person you spoke to. Ask them what items you will need to fax or mail but be prepared to send at least the following:

Copy of your Social Security Card
Copy of your drivers license (or other photo ID)
Copy of your present State approval
Copy of a recent pay stub or something to document that you have worked in a nursing home in the past two years.

Tell them where you are moving from and where to and where they can send the new card. They may ask for other info as well.

Automated lines
When you call, you may get an automated line. Most automated lines are free 800 numbers and can provide some good information. Do listen and be prepared to write down numbers, but also always try to get a connection to a real person.

TX Nurse Aide Registry
Credentialing Department
Office of Program Integrity
PO Box 149030, MC Y-977
Austin, TX 78714-9030
(512) 231-5829 or
(800) 452-3934
FAX: (512) 834-6764

Ask Legal Question

Your Privacy is 100% Confidential!