Can a psychiatrist give premarital education in West Virginia?

I got myself enrolled in some premarital course on my dad’s request. I heard that a psychiatrist is conducting one of the classes in the course. Can a psychiatrist give premarital education in West Virginia?
03/01/2017   |   Category: Marriage   |   State: West Virginia   |   #33110

Answer:

Yes, a psychiatrist can give premarital education in West Virginia. The law which says so is-

W. Va. Code § 48-2-701, it reads:

“(d) Premarital education courses may be performed by the following:

(1) A professional counselor or marriage and family therapist licensed pursuant to article thirty-one [§§ 30-31-1 et seq.], chapter thirty of this code;
     (2) A social worker licensed pursuant to article thirty [§§ 30-30-1 et seq.], chapter thirty of this code;
     (3) A psychiatrist who is licensed as a physician pursuant to article three, chapter thirty of this code;
     (4) A psychologist who is licensed pursuant to article twenty-one [§§ 30-21-1 et seq.], chapter thirty of this code; or
     (5) An active member of the clergy or his or her designee, including retired clergy, provided that a designee is trained in skills-based and research-based marriage preparation curricula premarital education.”