Marriage Legal Questions and Answers

Can a suit be filed against a spouse for causing personal injury to the other spouse outside the state of North Caroline?

My husband and I got married 2 months back and are living in North Carolina. 3 weeks back we had gone for a holiday at Bora Bora Island. One evening while we were walking along the beach, he tried to push me into the water in spite of knowing that I am hydrophobic and I cannot swim. Can I file a complaint against him in North Carolina for his actions that occurred outside our s...

11/24/2016   |   Category: Marriage   |   State: North Carolina   |   #27129

Whose consent should be taken for minors to marry?

My boyfriend and I are orphans and we live in California. We have been dating for 3 years now. We are 17 and 16 years of age respectively and would like to get married. Whose consent should we seek?

11/24/2016   |   Category: Marriage   |   State: California   |   #27128

Does a bride have to take her groom's last name when they get married?

Want to know if there is any problem with my retaining my present name and not changing to husbands after marriage and if there is anything I need to do to accomplish this.

11/17/2011   |   Category: Marriage   |   State: Indiana   |   #25550

Do I Need a Divorce to Get Remarried if I've Been Separated for 20 Years?

if i was married twenty years ago and never divorced, and remarried again is the second marriage legal.

04/22/2011   |   Category: Marriage   |   State: New York   |   #24699

Where Can Bigamy Be Prosecuted and For How Long?

Hi This is a tricky one to challenge you dealing with bigamous activity.Facts: Married a American girl in Jamaica January 2008, and signed all the legal paperwork, supplied by the vicar.We were living in California at the time.She had a marriage of convenience in place that was not annulled until May of 2008.I never register the certificate at the Orange County Courthouse in C...

03/19/2011   |   Category: Marriage   |   State: California   |   #24443

Is a marriage legal if wife signed wrong last name on certificate?

When my wife and I got married in California She signed her maiden name on the wedding certificate. But she had not legaly changed her name back to her madden name after she divorced her first husband. Does that mean we never really entered into a legal contract...in other words the marriage is not binding?

01/21/2011   |   Category: Marriage   |   State: California   |   #24056

What can I do if I believe my husband is still married to someone else?

I have been married for 4 years. He did not tell me that he was married in 1999 to another woman; I found the marriage certificate. I have looked in 4 counties where they lived and found no record of a divorce. He continues to lie. What do I do? What is the legal action to take, is it a criminal offense?

05/22/2009   |   Category: Marriage   |   State: Washington   |   #16751

If I used a last name different from the one on my birth certificate is my marriage legal?

If I made a mistake and used a different last name from the birth certificate when I got married, is the marriage still legal?

04/29/2009   |   Category: Marriage   |   State: New York   |   #16462

Is a covenant marriage that will be legal and vaild in Florida?

My fiance and I want a covenant marriage, but we are getting married in Florida, will we be able to apply for a covenant marriage that will be legal and vaild?

03/25/2009   |   Category: Marriage   |   State: Florida   |   #15758

Is our marriage legal if my husband's divorce papers read that he could not remarry for 60 days?

My husband and I were married on May 17, 2008 in Gatlinburg, Tenneessee. His divorce papers were signed off on by the judge on May 5, 2008 in the state of Alabama. It states in the decree that he can not marry again for 60 days unless to his previous wife. I just found all of this out - my question is - is our marriage legal?

03/23/2009   |   Category: Marriage   |   State: Alabama   |   #15736