Marriage » Common Law Marriage Legal Questions and Answers

Is common law marriage legal in Louisiana?

Is common law marriage legal in louisiana

04/06/2017   |   Category: Marriage » Common Law M...   |   State: Louisiana   |   #35264

I was married by an ordained minister but did not get a marriage license. Is the marriage valid?

I was married by an ordained minister. There was never a marriage license pulled for this process do I need to get annulment?

11/30/2016   |   Category: Marriage » Common Law M...   |   State: Montana   |   #27336

How do we dissolve a common law or informal marriage in Texas?

I had legal papers made up in 2006 for a informal marriage for insurance reasons. We have not had contact since 2007. What is the process to dissolve the legal paperwork that was filed in Harris county TX?

01/07/2011   |   Category: Marriage » Common Law M...   |   State: Texas   |   #23959

What is the Law on Common Law Marriage in California?

Is there a de facto/common law marriage law for California between 1998-2003? If so, what is the definition of common law marriage for California residents living in Los Angeles county at that time? I am a native born US citizen now residing in New Zealand since 2003. Prior to that, my home was in CA. Thank you for answering my question on definition of common law marriage i...

02/22/2010   |   Category: Marriage » Common Law M...   |   State: California   |   #21065

What Are the Requirenments for a Valid Marriage in Washington?

My husband and I were married in Washington State 25 yrs. ago in the church but not the state. We signed a document with witnesses and just recently recorded it. My husband no longer wants the marriage but says were not married so he doesn't need to give me spousal support. We have 2 boys, 13 and 17 and my husband has always been the main provider. I make about 1000.00/mo. He s...

01/22/2010   |   Category: Marriage » Common Law M...   |   State: California   |   #20572

Common-law marriage in Texas

The man I have called my husband for over 2 1/2 years is leaving me for another woman he met over a weekend. I have been with him for about 5 years. We were never married because we were waiting until I finish school, December 2010. We have presented ourselves as a married couple to the public and in/on legal documents. I am 21 and he is 27 year old firefighter. We have commun...

06/11/2009   |   Category: Marriage » Common Law M...   |   State: Texas   |   #16937

What is the legal status of a live in partnership?

What is the legal status of live in partnership? The people involved are man & woman.

05/21/2009   |   Category: Marriage » Common Law M...   |   State: Ohio   |   #16742

Does presenting yourself as being married consitute a Common Law Marriage in Texas?

My mother has lived with the same man for 7 yrs. He put a ring on her finger and there was a 'wedding' reception. They have told everyone that they are married. I have been introduced by him as his step daughter. Is that common law marriage?

04/30/2009   |   Category: Marriage » Common Law M...   |   State: Texas   |   #16480

What are the requirements for me to receive my deceased husband's social security benefits?

I lived with my husband begining June 1992 the marriage started in Washington D.C. and we stayed there 2 weeks and moved to his home in Maryland and and lived there until his death July 1995. We were not legally married until March 1995. We also spent a week in Alabama during this period of time however his divorce was not final until 1994 after I first moved to D.C. and aft...

04/27/2009   |   Category: Marriage » Common Law M...   |   State: West Virginia   |   #16221

What is the law regarding common law marriage and status to file taxes?

If two persons (male & female) are living together in Texas and satisfy the common law marriage requirement; must they file Federal Income Tax returns jointly or can they continue to filing as unmarried (single)? Please note on my question that I am looking for 'must I' versus 'can I' on the answer.

04/06/2009   |   Category: Marriage » Common Law M...   |   State: Illinois   |   #15893