Where should I make an application for changing our minor child’s name?

Full Question:

My husband and I are thinking of changing our baby’s name. She’s is 1 year old. Where should I make an application for name change? We live in Georgia.
02/27/2017   |   Category: Name Change   |   State: Georgia   |   #32957


You can make an application for changing your baby’s name in the superior court of the county where you reside.
O.C.G.A. § 19-12-1reads:
“Petition for name change; notice of filing; consent of minor's parents or guardian; service on parents or guardian; time of hearing; judgment; clerk's fees
    (a) Any person desirous of changing his name or the name or names of his minor child or children may present a petition to the superior court of the county of his residence, setting forth fully and particularly the reasons why the change is asked, which petition shall be verified by the petitioner.
(b) Within seven days of the filing of the petition, the petitioner shall cause a notice of the filing, signed by him, to be published in the official legal organ of the county once a week for four weeks. The notice shall contain therein the name of the petitioner, the name of the person whose name is to be changed if different from that of the petitioner, the new name desired, the court in which the petition is pending, the date on which the petition was filed, and the right of any interested or affected party to appear and file objections.”