Can I sue my grandmother for using corporal punishment in Texas?

I am an 11-year-old girl residing in Texas. My grandmother forbade me from smoking inside the house as she has acute bronchitis. She slapped me on my face when I disobeyed her instructions. Can I lodge a complaint against her?
01/24/2017   |   Category: Paternity ยป Parental Rig...   |   State: Texas   |   #30892

Answer:

In Texas, a grandparent may use corporal punishment for the reasonable discipline of a child. Slapping a child by a grandmother to discipline the child may be considered as a corporal punishment. Texas Family Code § 151.001 deals with the rights and duties of a parent. The persons who can use corporal punishment for the reasonable discipline of a child are envisaged in Tex. Fam. Code § 151.001 which reads as:
“***
(e) Only the following persons may use corporal punishment for the reasonable discipline of a child:
     (1) a parent or grandparent of the child;
     (2) a stepparent of the child who has the duty of control and reasonable discipline of the child; and
     (3) an individual who is a guardian of the child and who has the duty of control and reasonable discipline of the child.”