What is the age of majority in Missouri?

03/30/2007 - Category:Minors - Age of Majority - State: MO #2392

My two teen daughters, 16 and 17, keep trying to tell me that at age 17 they can make legal decisions on their own, that they can have sex legally with someone over 18 without that person getting into trouble. I do not agree. It is my understanding that I am responsible for them until they reach the age of maturity, which is 18 in Missouri. Can you clarify this issue for me?

Answer:

According to Missouri Statutes, "Child" means an individual under eighteen years of age, and "Minor" means any person who has not attained the age of eighteen years.

“A person commits the crime of statutory rape in the second degree if being twenty-one years of age or older, he has sexual intercourse with another person who is less than seventeen years of age.” While 17 may be the age of consent as far as not causing a man 18 years of age or older to be guilty of statutory rape, children are under their parents authority until they reach the age of 18.

Please see the information at the following links: Please see the forms at the following links:

03/30/2007 - Category: Age of Majority - State: MO #2392

See more Questions in the Age of Majority Category