What recourse does parent have if ex spouse moved out of state without permission from court?

Full Question:

Party A and party B were divorced, and A has custody of their child. B has visitation rights. Party A took the child and moved out of the state without telling B of their whereabouts. The custody agreement states that A cannot take the child and move out of state without first informing B, as well as getting permission from the court. What recourse does party B have?
01/05/2007   |   Category: Divorce ยป Child Custody   |   State: Alabama   |   #163


Party B may go before the court and have party A cited for being in contempt of the custody order. Party B may then take the contempt citation to the District Attorney's office, where they will begin the process of extraditing and arresting party A and bringing the child back to the original state.

Ask Legal Question

Your Privacy is 100% Confidential!