What are the requirements for a minor to become emancipated in Mississippi?

Full Question:

My daughter's ex-boyfriend who is turning 17 in September has stayed very close to our family since they decided to be friends. He is having an extremely difficult time living at home with his mother and step father. It is what most would call dysfunctional. The boy would like to move in with us and is currently holding down a full time job. While it concerns me to get involved, I would like to help and would be willing to have him as a responsibility but his mother will not hear of it and is now isolating him from my daughter and our family. Is it possible for this boy to gain legal emancipation from his parents and just come live with us until he has finished college? Would a court support him and grant this request in Mississippi?
04/28/2009   |   Category: Minors ยป Emancipation...   |   State: Mississippi   |   #16240


In the State of Mississippi, the age of emancipation is
twenty-one (21). There is no state statute providing for earlier
emancipation. It would be a subjective matter for the court based on
all the facts and circumstances involved. Earlier emancipation may be
determined by a judge if the child marries, joins the military, or, in
very limited circumstances, obtains other full time employment and
establishes residency outside the custodial parent's home. Typically,
when there is abuse in the household, neglect, a failure to provide
parental duties of support, or other factors indicating the potential
for harm to the child, a court may be more likely to find that
emancipation is in the child's best interests.

Ask Legal Question

Your Privacy is 100% Confidential!