Wills and Estates » Small Estates Legal Questions and Answers

What happens if only personal property exempt under Florida Law is left by deceased?

What happens if the estate of my Father only consists of what I understand is only personal property exempt under Florida Law?

02/08/2017   |   Category: Wills and Es... » Small Estates   |   State: Florida   |   #31806

Do I have to go through probate for estate of only $60,000.00 in Florida?

My mother died in 1999 and my Father just passed in January, 2017. His estate only consists of a bank account containing $40,000.00, a car valued at $4,000.00 and person property. The total value is only around $60,000.00. He did leave a Will leaving everything to me. Do I have to go through probate? If not what is the procedure in Florida I need to follow?

02/08/2017   |   Category: Wills and Es... » Small Estates   |   State: Florida   |   #31801

I am filing a Small Estates affidavit with the court to be in charge of my sister's estate. Do I need to publish notice to creditors?

I am filing a Small Estates affidavit with the court to be in charge of my sister's estate. Since I may not be aware of all her bills, am I required to place an add in the paper to state her death, where to claim payment, etc.?

11/24/2016   |   Category: Wills and Es... » Small Estates   |   State: Oregon   |   #27119

Can I handle my daughter's small estate if I live in a different state?

My Dallas-resident daughter died with a will naming me executor (I live in SC). Can I handle through a Small Estate Affidavit?

10/21/2011   |   Category: Wills and Es... » Small Estates   |   State: Texas   |   #25528

Can the Bank Foreclose on My Deceased Relative's Home?

My brother had no valid will. He owns a house worth $66k with a mortgage of $37k and a lien of $37k. Other than the house, he has bank accounts and life insurance with beneficiaries named. Is the house the only probate item? Can I use the Small Estate Affidavit for Estates under 30,000? Can I have the bank foreclose on the property or do I have to try to sell it? The house is a...

08/17/2011   |   Category: Wills and Es... » Small Estates   |   State: New Mexico   |   #25349

When is Probate Necessary in Indiana?

I'm the youngest of three sons we are all adults our father is deceased and our mother passed away 7/24/11 without a will all three had power of attorney I was the first on that. She has two homes and a lot located in Warsaw, IN she also had several bank accounts, safety boxes & retirement accounts some still have our fathers name. Is it possible for us to do probate using only...

08/17/2011   |   Category: Wills and Es... » Small Estates   |   State: Indiana   |   #25344

How Can We Collect Savings in a Bank Account After the Owner Dies?

My fatherinlaw died without a will but he had a small estate with paperwork naming my wife and her sister as co-trustees. There is a small savings account in Texas he had that my wife and her sister would like to get. The savings bank says they must have a court order appointing them as co-executors before they will give them the money. As an added detail the decendant was a...

07/07/2011   |   Category: Wills and Es... » Small Estates   |   State: Texas   |   #25151

How Do I Collect Money From a Bank Account of a Deceased Foreigner?

I live in England. My father died in 2006 in Italy, leaving his estate to me, and two other siblings one a minor. part of the estate was left in an account in an Bank of America. We have full english probate and a transfer certificate from the IRS showing no tax due on the money. The bank now requires a court order, Is summary administration satisfactory. Can we do this on-l...

04/30/2011   |   Category: Wills and Es... » Small Estates   |   State: Florida   |   #24755

What is the Small Estate Law in Idaho?

My aunt died in October, 2010, and was a resident of Idaho at the time of her death. After insurance coverage, there is about $2,300 in medical debts owed by her estate. There is $752.62 in a bank account in Idaho. In addition, she received in December, 2010, a check for $4,200 as a refund for certain medical expenses. There are no other debts or assets. My aunt had four heirs,...

02/22/2011   |   Category: Wills and Es... » Small Estates   |   State: Colorado   |   #24275

What Amount Qualifies as a Small Estate in Oklahoma?

As of 1/1/11, what is the limit for pursuing Small Estate Probate, i.e. is it still $150,000?

01/30/2011   |   Category: Wills and Es... » Small Estates   |   State: Oklahoma   |   #24113