Contractors » Construction Liens Legal Questions and Answers

Can a Contractor be Charged Criminally for Not Paying His Subs?

Can you be charged criminally as a contractor if you have been paid in full on a contract and the subs haven't been paid and leins are being filed?

07/06/2011   |   Category: Contractors » Construction...   |   State: Texas   |   #25147

Can an Architect Get a Mechanics Lien in Illinois for Drawing Up Plans?

Is there a provision in illinois law for an architect to lien a property for drawings submitted, but for which payment is not received?

07/06/2011   |   Category: Contractors » Construction...   |   State: Illinois   |   #25146

How Do I File a Subcontractor's Lien in Georgia?

as a subcontractor, we provided material,fabricated in FL, delivered to job site in GA, General Contractor is based in FL, working on the jobsite in GA. How do we file a Notice to Owner, what lien laws apply?

06/09/2011   |   Category: Contractors » Construction...   |   State: Florida   |   #24996

What Can I Do if my Contractor Doesn't pay the Subcontractors?

We bougt a house in Gainsville GA, while living in FL. We hired a General Contractor to do the work, totalling approx. $70,000. Our realtor recomended him and we saw his work in 2 hmes, includig our realtors.The work was to be completed Sept. 10,2010. When we arrived the work was not done. We found out that the Gen.Contractor had used out monies to complete another job. The wor...

02/06/2011   |   Category: Contractors » Construction...   |   State: Georgia   |   #24161

When Can a Subcontractor in California File a Lien?

iF AN OWNER FAILS TO SEND A CA-020-09 NOTICE OF COMPLETION TO A SUB CONTRACTOR WHO HAS FILED A 20 DAY PRELIM, WHAT RIGHTS DOES THE SUBCONTRACTOR HAVE TO COLLECT MONIES STILL OWED AFTER 30 DAYS PAST THE NOTICE OF COMPLETION WAS FILED?

01/06/2011   |   Category: Contractors » Construction...   |   State: California   |   #23947

Can a Subcontractor File a Lien After the General Contractor Files Bankruptcy?

If a general contractor files bankrupty, can a material house or subcontractor still file a lien on the project the general contractor did not pay them for their services? This is in the state of Hawaii.

09/09/2009   |   Category: Contractors » Construction...   |   State: Hawaii   |   #18540

What is the Timeline for Filing A Mechanics Lien in Pennsylvania?

Can an architect file a mechanics lien in Pennsylvania for unpaid fees and if possible, what would be the pertinent timeline for such action?

07/29/2009   |   Category: Contractors » Construction...   |   State: Pennsylvania   |   #17855

How Do I Get a Lien Discharged in Oregon?

We paid a licensed contractor for sheetrock, they did not pay the supplier, the supplier filed a lien but has not filed a lawsuit within 120 days to enforce the lien, yet the lien is still on our property, how do we get this removed?

07/27/2009   |   Category: Contractors » Construction...   |   State: Oregon   |   #17822

Can I File a Lien in Nebraska for Unpaid Wiring Work?

I pre-wire a residential construction for cable, telephone, network, stereo, and surround. Customer agreed via email to a proposal on Dec. 8, 2008. Customer was given labor price per hour and material costs. Customer added more work over the course of the project. Customer now wants to quibble over the bill even though labor and materials charges were listed in original pro...

07/09/2009   |   Category: Contractors » Construction...   |   State: Nebraska   |   #17406

How Do I Prevent the Sale of Property I Hold a Lien On?

We provided maintenance services on a helicopter for a company who will not pay us. We filed a lien in Blount County and with the FAA in Oklahoma. We just learned the helicopter is up for sale. Is there anything else we can do in the way of repossession, attachment, foreclosure, to prevent the aircraft from being sold. We are in contact with the financial institution who financ...

07/08/2009   |   Category: Contractors » Construction...   |   State: Tennessee   |   #17388