Landlord Tenant » Repairs Legal Questions and Answers

What are the liabilities and responsibilities of a landlord?

I live in a rented house in Michigan. It is infested with mold and mildew caused by faulty pipes. I have been getting it treated repeatedly because my landlord refuses to help. Doesn’t the landlord have the responsibility to keep the house in good and habitable condition?

11/24/2016   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Repairs   |   State: Michigan   |   #27132

My tenant is requesting me to fix a leaky faucet. Am I responsible for such minor repairs?

I rented out a building 3 months back. I had it completely done up and was given to my tenant in perfect condition. Now the tenant is complaining of a leaky faucet in the bathroom. This may have occurred due to the tenant’s carelessness as the bathroom which has the issue is used by the tenant’s children who are very ill-disciplined and sloppy (I know of the behavior of the chi...

11/10/2016   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Repairs   |   State: ALL   |   #26505

My rented apartment’s wall paint is worn out and unpleasant. Can I force my landlord to get it restored?

My rented apartment was renovated 6 years before I moved in and the landlord has not taken any measures to revamp the house after I moved in. It has been two years now and the paint in the living area and kitchen is all worn out and looks very unpleasant. I usually have a lot of guests over and it is embarrassing for me to have such walls staring at them. I had requested my lan...

11/10/2016   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Repairs   |   State: ALL   |   #26504

What Can I Do About Property in Need of Repair if the Landlord Can't be Located?

What recourse does a tenant have when the landlord cannot be located & the property is in disrepair & the tenant is making repairs exceeding $100K?

08/08/2011   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Repairs   |   State: California   |   #25297

Can a tenant legally withhold rent for repairs in Illinois?

I live in a 4 story, 3 unit apartment complex. My apartment is the bottom two floors, and my room is in the basement floor. On Saturday night, people from the 2nd floor apartment came downstairs to ask for a plunger to repair an overflowing toilet. A few minutes later, water started leaking through the ceiling on the first floor, and through the ceiling into the basement all...

07/21/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Repairs   |   State: Illinois   |   #17694

Can a tenant legally withhold rent for repairs without written notice?

Can a tenant legally withhold rent for repairs without written notice and providing a verbal intent by telling a relative who is not a tenant on the lease?

06/05/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Repairs   |   State: Kentucky   |   #16878

Who should make repairs to a leased property when the contract is unclear

I lease a metal building. We had a hail storm a few months back and the sky lights are leaking. My landlord says my insurance is supposed to cover it. My insurance company says I (they) are not responsible for the hail damage. My contract states: 'Tenant must maintain all risk hazard insurance on the leasehold improvements in the amount of $90k, with the landlord named as the i...

04/14/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Repairs   |   State: ALL   |   #15987

What course of action can I take if against the landlord for not fixing leak in gas meter?

I have been without gas service for a week because of a leak. The gas company has locked the meter. The gas is for the range and water heater. I informed the landlord by phone on Friday, March 27. I searched gas contractors and prices in an effort to get someone out here but have been unable to get a response from my landlord. She is not answering either phone or returning my m...

04/02/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Repairs   |   State: Florida   |   #15849

Tenant's Ability to Repair and Deduct in Oregon

I live in California, but own a house in Oregon. My tenants installed carpet in the basement area and moved roommates into the basement and have now sent me a letter of intent to withhold rent for the damages. What can I do about this?

03/18/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Repairs   |   State: California   |   #15681

What are grounds for withholding rent?

Do any of the following constitute grounds to withhold rent (no non set-off language in lease): no hot water, no water in kitchen faucet, front door unable to be locked. In other words, do these conditions prove evidence of 'inhabitability'? Please provide references for backup.

03/12/2009   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Repairs   |   State: New Jersey   |   #15570