Legal Questions and Answers

How can a landlord dispose of a tenant's bicycle and other personal property in South Carolina?

My tenant moved of the rented unit I own at Annapolis last week but has left behind a bicycle, some documents related to his insurance as well as old clothes. What do I do about these belongs as it is highly unlike that he will be back to claim it?

05/08/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Pr... » Landlord Ten...   |   State: South Carolina   |   #36825

Is it possible to ask the landlord safe-keep my belongings for some time after I vacate the premises?

I had rented a space that I am supposed to vacate at the end of this month as I am done with my Masters Rhode Island school of design. I am moving back to Boston but I need time to shift my belongings and expensive design equipment. Is it possible to ask the landlord to hold on to it while I get my move in order?

05/08/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Pr... » Landlord Ten...   |   State: Rhode Island   |   #36823

How can I recover damages from Landlord for disposing of my Personal Property?

My landlord burned all the books I had in my library after I vacated the rental apartment. They were the last batch of my personal belongings that were to be moved. He did not give any prior notice before destroying my property. The damages run into thousands of dollars and quite a number of them belonged to the public library in Salem. What is the legal action I can take again...

05/08/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Pr... » Landlord Ten...   |   State: Oregon   |   #36818

Do I have to pay to get my personal belongings that were moved by police after my eviction?

After I was evicted from my rental unit at Saint Paul, my personal belongings were moved by police officers from MPD. If I have to get my property back, I have to pay rent and storage charges to the MPD for storing it! Do I have to pay for something that wasn't done without my consent in the first place?

05/08/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Pr... » Landlord Ten...   |   State: Minnesota   |   #36817

Should I dispose of Personal Property left by my Tenant if the Tenant asks me to?

My tenant vacated the rental premises I own in Augusta. While vacating, he told me I could trash all the personal stuff he had left behind. I am still apprehensive about and haven't done as yet. Can I be held accountable if at all he changes his mind after I have destroyed the property?

05/08/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Pr... » Landlord Ten...   |   State: Maine   |   #36815

Is the inability to read or write a disability?

Is It Discrimation If A Temp Or Workplace Wont Hire Someone Based On The Inability To Read And Write?

05/07/2017   |   Category: Federal Law » ADA or Disab...   |   State: ALL   |   #36778

Does a motel extended stay hotel have the right to withhold US mail?

Does a motel/ extended stay hotel have the right to withhold mail?

05/06/2017   |   Category: Government » US Mail   |   State: Nevada   |   #36769

Can the landlord claim storage charges for leased mobile home for which he received writ of possession?

I received a writ of repossession for a mobile home I leased for nearly 15 years a year ago. The mobile remains on my private property (owned and free of debt...the land). Since the mortgage company has not removed the mobile home from my land, is this considered abandoned property and/or can I charge storage fees...? What is the process to claim abandoned property, if applicab...

05/05/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Pr... » Landlord Ten...   |   State: Georgia   |   #36695

If my apartment has mold and the landlord will not address what do we do?

We leased an apartment. After several months we noticed the appearance of mold behind the sink in the bathroom. It also smells like mold. the smell is also coming from other areas of the apartment and it seems damp. The landlord will not help us. My son has asthma and it has caused it to get worse. What do we do?

05/03/2017   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Mold   |   State: California   |   #36621

How much time will it take for a Landlord to evict me in California?

I am 75 years old and have lived in the same apartment that I rented for many years. Now the landlord wants to evict me. I need time. How much time will I have to move?

05/03/2017   |   Category: Landlord Ten... » Lease Termin...   |   State: Mississippi   |   #36619